Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Teriyaki Chicken in the Crock Pot




I'm trying to widen my crock pot recipe category. There is nothing better on a busy day than to walk in the house at 5 and smell dinner done! Now that is a good thing, no matter what your season in life.
I found this recipe on Leigh Ann Wilkes blog Homebased Mom. It is easy to assemble cooks in 3 hours and is delicious.
I have found a new love for chicken thighs, I don't know why but they just work. I was also happy as I had everything in the house to put this quick meal together. This was a perfect meal on a very busy day. Here is the simple recipe:


Put 5-12 frozen chicken thighs in a crock pot.
Mix together
3/4 cup soy sauce
3/4 cup sugar
2 minced garlic cloves
6 Tablespoons cider vinegar
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper
5 teaspoons cornstarch
5 teaspoons water
Pour sauce minus the cornstarch and water over the chicken thighs. Cook on low 2 1/2 to 5 hours. that is a wide range but depending on the size of your crock pot and the amount of chicken you use. I used about 6 frozen thighs and the full amount of sauce. It was done in about 3 hours on low. It is safe to leave your crock pot on the warm setting for 2 hours.
Remove meat, clean off any fat and shred meat. Pour sauce in a strainer or a gravy separator. Remove fat. pour sauce in a sauce pan and heat add cornstarch mixed with water. Stir until sauce comes to a boil. Boil for a minute or two. Serve chicken and sauce over sticky rice. I added steamed veggies for a perfect meal.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man, this looks tasty!!

Maybe it will replace my Mongolian beef that's on the menu this week :)

Beautiful picture too!

Zampette in pasta said...

Ciao bello il tuo blog!!!
Ti seguo e se ti fa piacere passa a trovarmi.
A presto

Leigh Anne @YourHomebasedMom said...

This a great simple and delicious meal! Glad you enjoyed it.

Kara said...

This looks good!
I love walking in to the house smelling dinner ready! Crock pots are wonderful :) I love your fork aswell! Too fun :D

Kara :)

http://lovehomebird.blogspot.com/

Kayte said...

I'm with you on the whole crockpot thing, I try to do it once a week when we go from barbecuing to more cool weather cooking and this one is moving to the top of the list for next week. I love your simplicity with recipes/food...they always look so colorful and healthy! It's funny about chicken thighs, because all my life I have always preferred the breast meat, then a couple of years ago Mark started grilling boneless skinless thighs on the grill and I have been eating those instead and preferring it...who knew? This looks like a wonderful place for them, thanks for the recipe.

Cakelaw said...

What a gorgeous, inviting dish. Can I come to dinner?

Paul & Kaytie said...

Thanks for an easy recipe. We can't wait to try it.

Chaya said...

This looks absolutely delicious. The word, teriyaki, is a turn on, when it comes to food.