Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Crock Pot Potato Cheese Soup


 I have been on a personal quest to find more recipes that are cooked in the Crock Pot. My first Crock Pot, a wedding gift in the mid 70's had an on/off switch and a non removable stoneware liner, the color was Avocado Green. It was not fun to clean! It was not my cooking vehicle of choice. I tried a few recipes over the years, they all taste pretty much the same, not terrible, just the same.
I'm happy to say Crock Pots have come along way. There are sizes to fit every family and any number of features. I have a 6 quart slow cooker, it's great when the family is here but much too large for my everyday use. I now have a 31/2 quart slow cooker, perfect for empty nesters. Your slow cooker should be a least 1/2 full for best performance.
This is probably too much info but I do have a great recipe for the slow cooker. This potato soup was delicious. I'm sure I will make it often this winter.


Crock Pot Potato Cheese Soup
6 slices bacon
1 1/2 cups diced onions
5 cups peeled diced russet potatoes
3/4 cup diced celery
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 cup half and half
2 cups shredded cheese--I cleaned out my cheese drawer and used several kinds
Fry bacon in skillet till crisp, remove from pan and drain. Crumble bacon and refrigerate. In the same skillet saute onions for 3 or 4 minutes. Put onions, celery and potatoes in slow cooker, add chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cook on low heat for 6-7 hours. In a small bowl stir together flour and half and half, mix well with wire whip. Add mixture to soup, increase slow cooker to high and cook for 30 minutes until thick. Add cheese and stir until melted. Top soup with cooked bacon.
This recipe comes from Real Mom Kitchen



10 comments:

Barbara Bakes said...

I should use my slow cooker more too. Looks like a wonderful recipe for the cold winter nights ahead.

Nedra said...

We must have gotten married in the same year, because we received a similar avacado green crock pot.
Yes,technology has come a long way, even in crock pots!
The recipe looks yum.

Kayte said...

I got the brown crockpot...and since have gotten three other sizes and two baby ones...we actually use them all for various things all through the year and they are very handy. I am going to put this soup into one soon! Gorgeous photo of it.

spike. said...

sounds comforting and delicious

Anita Rowe Stafford said...

Cindy, this looks wonderful! I love to use the crock pot, but like you I want the recipe to taste good when finished. Not too much information at all, great post!

Cakelaw said...

What a beautiful looking soup - love the bacon on top.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful flavors - I have to get a crockpot! Love the bacon!
mary x

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Need I say more than I love potato soup?

Tami said...

This soup looks wonderful. Can you tell me approx. how many cups it makes? I need to make a 6qt. crockpot of soup for our PTA soup and salad event next week and I think that this recipe would work perfectly. I'm thinking that I might have to at least double this recipe?

Can you email me at tamiskitchentabletalk (AT) gmail (Dot) com?

Thanks!
Tami

Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com said...

I am a soup fanatic! Love that you use the slow cooker here too! Thanks for sharing at Sweet & Savory Saturdays #27!

~Amber @ DessertNowDinnerLater.com